Monday, August 27, 2007

Little Golden Book Monday #22


I've been reading The Annotated Cat: Under the hats of Seuss and His Cats for the past few days, so I am in a real Seuss mood. So for today's Little Golden book I have chosen the "Cat in the Hat" movie addition from 2003. Adapted by Jesse Leon McCann, Based on the motion-picture screenplay written by Alec Berg & David Mandel & Jeff Schaffer, Illustrated by Christopher Moroney, Based on the book by Dr. Seuss... whew, did you get all that!
It's the story from the Universal Studio movie, but with artwork that looks very similar to the original "Cat in the Hat" and "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" books from 1957 and 1958.
Although I was not a big fan of the movie, I am certainly a fan of the books. I remember as a young child having a copy of both "Cat and the Hat" and "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" (which I still have today), and loving to curling up in bed to have mom read them to me, which seems kind of ironic now after reading the Annotated Cat book in which they make a big point of that fact that these books were meant to help kids learn to read by themselves, and even sported the "for beginning readers" and "I can read it all by myself" slogans on he original and subsequent printings of the books. I remember them being books that I loved to have read to me, but I don't really remember reading them myself. I guess I was more of a Dick and Jane reader.
...the Cat in the Hat - singing, and driving his super-splendiferous Housecleaning machine!
Conrad and Sally could scarcely believe their eyes.
When the cleaning crew had finished, the house was spotless. They'd dry-cleaned Mom's dress, scrubbed Conrad and Sally, and even given Nevins a both - all without waking up Mrs. Kwan!
"Good-bye, Cat!" called Conrad and Sally. "Thanks for everything!"
The Cat was still singing as he drove away.

No comments: