Monday, September 11, 2006

The One That Got Away... Almost

Last Saturday night I read over on The Cult of Mac Blog about a great 14 page Mac OS X ad insert in several prominent magazines, including the current issue of Entertainment Weekly.

I planned on going to my local magazine shop to pick it up on Sunday. As luck would have it, I was out with my wife and son all day, and we didn't make it to the magazine shop until just a few minutes before it closed. When I asked the shop owner for a copy of Entertainment Weekly, he told me he did not carry E. W. magazine. So then I planned on going after work today (Monday) to my local Chapters book store to pick it up. Again it was another busy day, and by the time I got there, it was around 9 pm. I quickly perused the magazines looking for the issue in question. To my disappointment, I found the next weeks issue had been put out earlier today and the issue I wanted had been returned. I talked with one of the bookstore staff and she told me that they usually just rip off the covers to send them back and then the magazines are recycled. I told her I was only looking for the ad in the magazine, and she said she would have a look in the back to see if she might be able to find it and pull the ad out for me. She returned to let me know that unfortunately everything was already gone. Undaunted, I returned home tonight and visited eBay, the place where you can always find IT! and sure enough, there were a few copies of last weeks Entertainment Weekly magazine up for auction.
Kind of a long story for an ad in a magazine, but I have been collecting Mac ads for about 18 years now and when I saw this 14 page ad, I knew I just had to have it!
Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that in 14 hours and 13 minutes, I am the proud owner of Entertainment Weekly issue 895/896 with the prized 14 page Mac OS X insert.

No comments: