Saturday, September 16, 2006

Playland at the PNE


I have been collecting promotional flyers and brochures for as long as I can remember. I'm always happy to add a new promo brochure to my collection. Today I picked up the new 2006 Playland brochure. Playland is the amusement area at the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition).

Playland is your basic exhibition midway with the usual assortment of rides, with one exception. Playland's signature attraction the large wooden coaster named "The Coaster" was designed by Carl Phare and built in 1958, is an ACE Coaster Classic. If you are a fan of coasters, this is a 'must ride'.
As a child, I would always visit the PNE during the summer. It was worth the admission price for 3 things; The Coaster, The Smash Up Derby, and "Those Mini Donuts". The PNE has undergone many changes over the years, which for me have made the experience less appealing. The number one being the elimination of the smash up derby - I'm guessing because of environmental concerns (watching the smoke belch out of those cars was half the fun!). Nowadays, I wait until the last few weeks of Playland sometime at the end of September, and I go first thing in the morning on a Sunday. I usually have the place to myself and am able to ride most of the rides as many times in a row as I like before moving on to the next. Last time I went, I spent about 1 hour on the bumper cars, having fun as they brought me a fresh batch of victims every 5 minutes!

No comments: