Friday, September 22, 2006

Scooore!



The Chilliwack Bruins franchise started off with a bang by winning in its Western Hockey League debut. Stephane Lenoski scored the winner and Alex Archibald stopped 17 shots as the Bruins defeated the Kelowna Rockets 3-1 Thursday for their first victory in franchise history to send a raucous sold-out crowd of 5,100 home happy.
The Bruins gave ways Inaugural game pucks, and souvenir tickets to all fans attending the game. I managed to score a few of each! I also bought one of the inaugural season pucks as well as an inaugural game program. I also scored a handfull of pocket schedules to trade with with my sked trading pals.
I have been to a number of inaugural games including the Vancouver Giants, Everett Silvertips, Burnaby Bulldogs, Burnaby Express, Coquitlam Express and the Vancouver Ravens NLL lacrosse team. As far as spectacle, there was not that much to be had at the Bruins game, although the sold out crowd seemed to be pleased with what they got. And unlike many of the other inaugural games I have attended, the home team actually won at this one which was a great way to get things started!

No comments: